Friday 12 October 2012

Review: The Manor - Issue #1

Cover art by Jason Sholtis.
Trying my luck after my previous win over at Tenkar's Tavern, I decided to give Erik's latest contest a crack.

The name of the game was to design a mercurial magical effect (a magical effect triggered by the casting of a spell) for DCC. Now, whilst I have no actual experience of the DCC system there was no actual mechanical requirements within your entry, just creativity, so I certainly fancied my chances and, found that once I'd conjured up one idea, the creative juices just kept on flowing.

A long story short, I won! And, for my prize I had the choice of either The Manor - Issue #1 or, The Manor - Issue #2.

Possessing neither, I decided best to start at the start and, I chose Issue #1. I am not disappointed! In fact, I'm quite enthused!

Let me just start my actual review by saying that this zine is amazing! It arrived this morning and already I have read it cover-to-cover, twice! It was that good, I just had to read it again and, I'm not what you would call a big reader (normally a book a year, if that). Something tells me I'll be reading it again before the day's through too.

But what's got me hooked?

For a start, I'm really digging the format. The book is a sweet A5 size with card stock covers (reminiscent of great products such as Buffalo Castle and lending a real sense of overall quality) and, extremely well laid out. The art is beautiful throughout and, each article is written in a narrative style that is both easy to follow and also complimentary to the subject matter.

Then there is what you actually get wrapped up in these 24 pages. A short GM adventure, a random treasure table, poetry, adventure hooks, NPC's and, some excellent wilderness encounters. That's a lot of bang for $3.50.

I know I say it quite often but, this is a must own for almost any gamer. Even if you have no plan of running retro-clone anytime soon, it's a great read and, extremely entertaining.

Pick up your copy of Issue #1 and, Issue #2 here ($3.50 each) or, as a PDF here ($2.50 each).

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tom, just saw this review in my alerts. Thanks for the review and very glad you enjoyed the zine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim, sorry about the delayed reply to your comment, only just noticed that I had a new comment.

      I am also very much looking to pick up issues 2 and 3 as well. Is there anyway of combining the postage?

      Delete
    2. Hi Tom, I've been trying to find a way to combine it, but each time I've done combined shipments it ended up being about the same. Plus I have to buy new envelopes and I haven't found a good one yet. But I am still looking for options. Hoping to be able to offer a better way to combine orders.

      Delete
    3. Well, I would certainly be interested in picking up a couple of more issues of The Manor; it's good stuff! :0).

      Delete