Monday, 9 July 2012

Something Old For Something New

Inspired by Hobb Sized Adventures i've decided that the first Tunnels and Trolls post on my new blog should be my first real crack at adventure writing.
It's not great but, considering it only took me a few hours in one afternoon to cobble together, it's not too bad either. Either way it's free, so if you feel inclined to copy, paste and, print go right ahead..

Unless you're James Shipman, in which case, go to hell.
That however is a post for another day. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present "The Blood War of Saxon"

This is a short solo for Tunnels and Trolls World of Kaball (i.e. Trollworld). It is suitable for Level 1 to 3 characters with no more than 20 adds. There is no magic matrix, so spell-casters will have to adjudicate the effects of spells for themselves.

Introduction

In the fertile pastures of the southern realm lies the torn village of Saxon. For generations two families, the Slavin and the Furriers have been at great debate over the ownership of a singular field. Ordinarily this would not lead to such a drawn out feud but, as the only place that a rare and valuable herb grows, there is much to be gained from staking a claim here.

A violent storm only two nights passed unearthed an ancient tomb within the field believed to belong to the ancestors of the lands rightful owner. This has brought great debate as to who will investigate the catacombs. The citizens here are but simple farmers and neither family trusts the other to tell the truth upon returning to the surface. As such they have turned to you, an outsider, to resolve this matter once and for all. Handing you a lantern to light your way and, promising you reward upon your return they usher you toward the darkness as they stand in anticipation of your return. You descend the stairs and enter the crypt, go to 7.

1 
Your weapon begins to turn to dust as soon as it makes contact with the light. You pull it back but it is too late as the last of it crumbles away in your hands and, the light fades just as quickly as it had appeared. With the light gone you notice a door on the north wall and decide to exit the room through it, go to 39.

2 
You travel along the western passage for a short time before the corridor turns northward ending in a half-rotted wooden door. Pressing an ear to it you can hear nothing and enter cautiously. The door gives with a creak and you find yourself in a small run down chamber littered with bones. Roll 1d6:

If you roll a 1, go to 4.
If you roll a 2, go to 6.
If you roll a 3, go to 16.
If you roll a 4, go to 23.
If you roll a 5, go to 33.
If you roll a 6, go to 38.

3 
The passage continues west for a short time before turning north. As you turn the corner, you are confronted by a shambling figure which attacks you on sight!

Zombie: MR 18 
2/Zombie Plague: Make a L1-SR on CON or become infected. If you are infected you lose 1 CON each paragraph (or combat round) until magically cured. If you die of the plague you become a zombie with a MR equal to your STR.

If you slay the monster you continue north, go to 5.
4.254.80.84
4 
You pause for a moment, expecting something to happen but as time passes you realize that there is nothing here but a few old bones. Feeling safe, you search among the remains and find a small leather pouch with 1d6 GP inside it. Finding nothing else of any value you leave the chamber through the door in the north wall, go to 8.

5 
You walk down the passage a short ways before arriving at a crossroads. Seeing no sense in traveling back toward the exit yet, you look at the other three options. After a quick investigation you can see no difference in any of the corridors. Will you travel west, go to 8. North, go to 13 or, east, go to 31.

6 
As you cast a light across the room you notice something moving in the far corner and as you fix a light upon it, it begins to move toward you. Giving out a low moan it lurches toward you with an awkward motion and you prepare yourself to fight.

Zombie: MR: 18
2/ Zombie Plague: Make a L1-SR on CON or become infected. If you are infected you lose 1 CON each paragraph (or combat round) until magically cured. If you die of the plague you become a zombie with a MR equal to your STR. Make a note of which paragraph you die at, the next adventurer will meet you there.

If you win a further search of the room reveals a small silver dagger (2 + 1) worth 50 GP. Placing the weapon in your pack you decide to leave the room and exit through a door in the north wall, go to 8.

7 
You advance down the stairs watching your step as you tread and, kicking away loose stones until you reach the base of the stairs to find yourself at a T-junction with passages running west and east. In front of you your lantern catches a stone plaque that has been placed upon the wall but, unfortunately time has worn away much of the wording.

Make a L2-SR on INT. If you make the roll, go to 9. If you miss the roll, go to 14

8 
You exit the room and find yourself at a T-junction. To the north you can see a door and, to the east there is nothing but corridor as far as the eye can see. If you want to head north, go to 19. If you wish to walk down the eastern passage, go to 5.

9 
Examining the tablet you manage to make out some reference to a great magical force to the east. Looking down the east-hand passage you can make out a wooden door in the distance. If you would like to follow the east passage, go to 27. If you would rather follow the passage to the west, go to 2

10 
With a crash you burst through the door and into a large room thick with dust. In the center of the chamber upon a raised dais is a fine stone coffin engraved with various markings, it is then you spy the family crest at the head of the coffin lid. Roll 1d6:

If you roll 1 – 4, go to 42.
If you roll a 5 or 6, go to 12.

11 
No sooner have you placed your weapon into the light it is ripped from your hands. The light fills the weapon and, it soon begins to dance before you in the air. A cruel laughter echoes in your ears and, you must now fight against your weapon which has a MR equal to its dice plus adds. Defeating the weapon will damage it beyond all use. If you survive the battle you notice a door upon the north wall and decide to exit the room through it, go to 39.

12 
The crest is a snake, the seal of the Slavin family. With this information you return to the surface to claim your reward, go to 43.

13 
You walk north along the corridor until you arrive at a heavy wooden door that has been sealed and bolted, go to 20.

14 
The tablet has eroded far too much for you to make any sense of the carvings upon it and, finding nothing else of any note you decide to move onward. Shining a light down both passages you can make out a door to the east. Will you travel east, go to 27 or, will you travel west, go to 2.

15 
Opening the lid of the coffin you smile as you see a huge pile of gold pieces. Carefully propping up the lid you loot the contents, finding 1d6 x 50 GP. Carrying your haul you press onward through the door in the northern wall, go to 25.

16 
In the corner rats nibble at a pile of bones and, as your light catches there eyes they all turn to run at you. It looks like they want you for their next meal and you must fight for your survival!

Swarm of Rats: MR 1d6 x 5

If you win the battle you dress your wounds and leave the room through the door in the north wall finding nothing of value, go to 8.

17 
As you place your weapon into the light, the light fills the weapon itself as it slowly fades away. Roll 1d6:

If you roll a 1, go to 24.
If you roll a 2, go to 40.
If you roll a 3, go to 11.
If you roll a 4, go to 1.
If you roll a 5, go to 32.
If you roll a 6, go to 29.

18 
Leaving the room the corridor takes a turn to the left, continuing for 15 feet before it ends in a door to your right, go to 20.

19 
The door opens into a cobwebbed chamber with a heavy stone coffin pressed against the eastern wall and, a flimsy wooden door with a barred window in it on the northern wall. You may proceed through the door, go to 25 or, investigate the coffin, go to 37.

20 
The door has been well sealed and you are almost certain that the crypt that the farmers told you about will be just beyond this door. You listen at the door but all you can hear is a deathly silence. You press against the door but it will not budge and you soon surmise that the door must have been sealed from the other side. Summoning all your strength you charge the door in the hope of breaking it down. Make a L2-SR on STR. If you make the roll, go to 10. If you fail, you fall to the ground exhausted and must admit defeat, beaten at the final obstacle. You return to the surface and leave Saxon, unable to help the farmers and, unwelcome in these parts ever again.

21 
As your hand reaches the light you feel an intense vibration running up your arm that soon becomes painful. You pull away but, the damage has already been done as you notice your hand and arm have suffered severe burns. Reduce your CON by 1d6 permanently for the magical burns. The light fades away with a grim laughter and, you see a door on the north wall that you could have sworn was not there before and decide to see what is beyond it, go to 39.

22 
As you reach into the hole a magical force grabs a hold of your hand and a shooting pain bites at your wrist. Pushing forward you reach for the gem (roll a L1-SR on STR and if you miss it take the difference in damage). Either way you manage to claim the gem (worth 100 GP) and, continue north, go to 5.

23 
Deciding to search the room before moving on you look through the bones. You are half-way across the room when you here the twang of a bow string and, you realize you have stepped upon a trigger stone. Acting quickly you dive out of the way. Make a L2-SR on DEX and, if you miss it take the difference in damage. Cutting your losses you leave the room through a door in the north wall, go to 8.

24 
The weapon feels different somehow and, although the light has hidden your weapon continues to glow. Your weapon gains no bonuses but, may now inflict damage upon monsters that can only be hurt by magic. The value of the weapon has now also doubled. Your reward in hand a door mystically materializes on the north wall and, as the door you entered through is still sealed, you decide to travel that way, go to 39.

25 
Leaving the room the corridor takes a turn to the right, continuing for 15 feet before it ends in a door to your left, go to 20.

26 
As you open the lid a skeletal hand leaps from inside and is soon guillotined when you drop the lid upon the arm. Much to your surprise the hand continues to scuttle across the floor and with another leap and bound it pounces and grabs at your throat. Make a L2-SR on STR. If you miss the roll, take damage equal to the difference. If you survive, you throw the hand to the floor and crush it under foot and, not wanting to fight the rest of the coffins occupants you continue north, go to 25.

27 
After several feet you arrive at a stout wooden door with strong iron hinges. Trying the door you find that it is unlocked and you enter into the room beyond. It is a small chamber that does not show any signs of age and has been ornately decorated with fine patterns inscribed into the walls that almost resemble a language. As you enter the room the door slams behind you and will not budge, it is then that you notice a ghostly light forming and growing in the center of the room.

You may try poking the light with your weapon, go to 17, or reach out and touch the light with your hand, go to 21.

28 
As you enter the room a bitter odor catches your nose that makes your eyes water and, stomach retch. After a moment you adjust to the surroundings and notice that you have entered a room that has been well plastered with an intricate pattern lining up all the flagstones on the floor that resemble eyes and tears. A search of the room reveals one of the tiles on the floor is hinged. If you would like to lift up the loose flagstone, go to 35. If you would sooner just leave the room through the door in the north wall, go to 18.

29 
Suddenly as your weapon touches the light you feel a warm feeling inside that speaks to you of security and, as the feeling dissipates you find yourself feeling empowered. You now have 6 points of natural armor for the force-field that has been placed around you that will also protect you from magical damage. Thanking the light as it fades you notice a door on the north wall and decide to exit the room through it, go to 39.

30 
After a few minutes the passage turns sharply north and as you turn the corner you notice a highly polished rock that looks out of place among the rubble. Upon lifting the stone you find a small recess in the floor containing a purple gemstone. You may take the gem, go to 22 or, continue north, go to 5.

31 
Several feet along the corridor you arrive at another T-junction. To the north you can see a door and, to the west you can only corridor. If you head north, go to 28. If you would sooner investigate the western passage, go to 5.

32 
The light flows through your weapon causing it to crackle with magical energy and, glow with a purple aura. Your weapon now inflicts 3 points of spite damage for each 6 rolled in combat and, 1 point of spite damage for each 5 rolled. Pleased with yourself you head towards a door that has appeared out of the shadows on the north wall, go to 39.

33 
Treading carefully across the room, whilst searching the remains of the skeletons a flagstone gives way beneath your right foot plunging it into the jaws of a rusted bear trap. Make a L1-SR on LK. If you make it the trap is far too old to shut and you pull your foot back out safely and make your way to the exit. If you miss the roll, you take 1d6 damage and reduce your CON by 1 permanently due to infection from the rusted teeth on the trap, before gathering yourself up and exiting the room, go to 8.

34 
The corridor continues west for a short time before turning north. You continue to follow the passage north, go to 5.

35 
As you lift the loose tile the smell becomes much worse and coughing you notice a green fizzing pool beneath floor. The stone you have just moved was the keystone holding the whole floor in place and without it the floor is now beginning to fall away. Choking you make a dash for the door on the north wall. Make a L2-SR on SPD. If you miss the roll you have fallen foul of the fumes and your last thoughts are of anguish as the acid eats through your flesh. If you make the roll, go to 18.

36 
Roll 1d6:

If you roll a 1 or 2, go to 30.
If you roll a 3 or 4, go to 34.
If you roll a 5 or 6, go to 3.

37 
Roll 1d6:
If you roll a 1 or 2, go to 41.
If you roll a 3 or 4, go to 26.
If you roll a 5 or 6, go to 15.

38 
No sooner you enter the room, a pile of bones begins to jar as a gust of wind blows through them, picking them up and forming them into a humanoid shape before your very eyes that begins to move toward you with a menacing glare in its undead eyes that glow with a dim red light.

Skeleton: MR 18
Special Rule: Bladed and pointed weapons other than axes cause only half damage to skeletons.

After defeating the monster, you decide to leave the room through the door on the north wall finding nothing else of value, go to 8.

39 
You exit the room and are now standing at another T-junction with passages running north and west. Looking down both passages you can see nothing beyond the light of your lantern but darkness. If you would like to travel down the northern passage, go to 31. If you would like to travel along the western passage, go to 36.

40 
The light slowly fades and as it does your weapon becomes heavy in your hands. Flickering like a candle it slowly grows to double its size and, twice its weight. Double the STR and DEX requirements of the weapon but, also double the dice and adds. In a similar flicker a door appears on the north wall and seeing no other exit, you decide to enter it, go to 39.

41 
As you lift the lid on the coffin your eyes light up as you spy a large pile of gold inside. Reaching in greedily you forget to secure the coffin lid and it comes slamming down on your hand. Reduce your CON by 2. You try to re-open the lid but something has jammed inside and it will not budge. Cursing under your breath you head north, go to 25.

42 
The crest is of an eagle devouring a snake, the family crest of the Furriers. You return to the surface to deliver the news and claim your reward, go to 44.

43 
You deliver the news to the farmers and the head of the Slavin family is very happy. “Well, my friend” he says, “surely knowing that you have returned the land to it’s rightful owners is reward enough, eh?” as he shoos you toward the fields exit. The Furriers not far behind you hanging there heads. You feel cheated and slightly guilty. Maybe it would have been better to lie.

You gain 200 AP for the adventure.

44 
Upon delivering the news the anger of the Slavin is clear but with you there they seem unwilling to resort to violence “You have this day then, but this is far from over!” threatens a member of the Slavin family as they move off, cursing under there breath.

“Thank you my friend” says the head of the Furriers household as he puts an arm around you and, suckles a cob pipe. “Now I do believe we promised you a reward my friend” he says handing you a small pouch of gold coins and a smaller pouch containing herbs.

There are 3d6 x 10 GP in the one pouch and, three doses of the mystical herb that will cure any toxin, magical or otherwise (including the zombie plague). Each dose is worth 500 GP. You also gain 200 AP for your adventures.

2 comments:

  1. Did you know you can shorten your long urls with Shortest and make cash from every click on your shortened urls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silver Gold Bull is a highly reputable bullion dealer. They will provide you with bargain, real-time rates and they will make sure your bullion arrives to your door discreetly and fully insured.

    ReplyDelete