Wednesday 18 July 2012

Thrift Store Finds

I have a reputation amongst my fellow gamers.

I'm lucky. REALLY lucky. Lucky to the point that whenever it comes to contesting dice rolls, someone around the table will remind whoever I am up against that they're rolling against me. As you can imagine, that is quite a reputation to have when it comes to gaming and, without any sense of ego I can say that it is well deserved.

I am lucky. REALLY REALLY lucky and, it doesn't end at the gaming table. I have made some pretty amazing finds in thrift stores over the past few months, so I thought I would take a moment to share a few of them with you, what they're actually worth and the pittance I paid for them.

The first great find this year was Gorkamorka. Not only was this game a limited production run but, the copy I found was for the most part untouched. The orks and what not had been assembled but, the books where virtually unread, the bulkheads that came with the set where still on sprue's and, the vast majority of the card-stock components where unpunched.
Approximate Value: £80ish.
I Paid: £10.

Inside that very same box there was also a sealed blister of metal Blood Bowl Chaos Cheerleaders, circa 1998.
Approximate Value: Hard to say as I have no frame of reference. There isn't even a similar item to be found on E-Bay. I would conservativly say in the ball park of £30 though.
I Paid: Nowt.

My next lucky find was Heroquest. I have wanted a copy of this for years, so there was no way in hell that I was going to leave that sitting on the shelf. Upon picking it off the shelf however I noticed that the box seemed to be bulging at the seams. What ever could be in here? Well there was only one way to find out given that it was all taped up. I bought it (like I said, no way in hell I was going to pass this one up. Especially with a mystery element attached).

When I got it home, JACKPOT! Not only was there a complete copy of Heroquest inside in good condition but, also the better part of three expansions! Sure, they may be missing a couple of miniatures all told and two or three card pieces but this was still an amazing find.
Approximate Value: £130.
I Paid: £4.99.

Only a week ago a thrift store dive uncovered 60 Lord of The Rings Miniatures for the tabletop skirmish game by Games Workshop. The most impressive aspect here for me was that the vast majority of those miniatures where metal and, included a close to complete fellowship.
Approximate Value: £35.
I Paid: £2.50.

Today was no exception to the rule either, turning up as I have Carcassone plus two expansions (one of which is unpunched).
Approximate Value: £20ish.
I Paid: £3.50.

Today also turned up a copy of a nice little abstract strategy game called Queen Bee. A little research has turned up the fact that this appears to be a first printing (by Condor), but little more. Either this little gem is remarkably unpopular or as rare as hens teeth. I suspect it may be the latter, making it an ideal candidate for a write up and review. It's also rules light, abstract strategy. Which is just awesome!
Approximate Value: Not a clue.
I Paid: 99p.

 

 

Links

Blood Bowl Board Game Geek Entry

Carcassonne Board Game Geek Entry

Gorkamorka Board Game Geek Entry

Heroquest Board Game Geek Entry

Lord of The Rings: Tabletop Battle Game Board Game Geek Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment