Thursday 16 August 2012

Even More Thrift Store Finds

I really do have some amazing thrift stores only a stones throw from my doorstep and, it never ceases to amaze me just what people don't want anymore.

So what have people been throwing out of late?

My first two finds where within where both found in the same place on the same day. The first one to catch my eye was a box that seemed really familiar to me for some reason that I didn't twig until I read the title, "The Chronicles of Narnia".

This isn't a game based upon any of the new movies but, rather the BBC drama from the late 80's. I only vaguely remember watching this as a child but, it must have stayed with me far more clearly than I recall as only catching a glimpse of the box out of the corner of my eye was enough to draw me in.

Having had a quick flick through the rules I can safely say that this game has about as much to do with Narnia on a thematic level as my neighbors cat has to do with Aslan. It's still a nice game though and, I am still very happy with it.

My second find of the day was Treasures and Trapdoors, sitting maybe only two or three boxes away from where I found The Chronicles of Narnia game. This is another fine example of Waddingtons craftsmanship and innovation, so I simply had to have it. No question about it.

I won't go into too much detail on this one just yet though as I aim to be looking at it in a future as a part of The Aladdin's Cave.

My last find of the week came a couple of days later when I stumbled upon a copy of Dracula by Rio Grande games sitting in that very same thrift store for a mere £1.99! How could I pass that up?

Outwardly I have to admit that I wasn't expecting too much from this game. Vampire themed games are ten a penny and, games that play on the well known name of Dracula seem by far the most frequent.

So imagine my pleasant surprise when I got through reading the rules and found that what I had here was actually a solid strategy game that carried the theme of Dracula well!

I'm really looking forward to breaking this one out the next time I get a chance to sit down for a game and, I expect that it could become quite popular in our group.

So there we have it, three amazing finds, across two days in one store. Whatever will I find next?

No comments:

Post a Comment