Thursday 27 September 2012

Alchemy's Workbench #3: Taking Talents Up A Notch

Whilst working on my Dungeon Masters Series project I have come to notice something. Something that I can fully see becoming a project in itself.

In order to flesh out a lot of the characters in the project I have had to get quite creative with the Talents. Now, getting creative with the Talents isn't exactly breaking new ground in Tunnels and Trolls, as the rulebook pretty much suggests that's exactly what you should be doing.

What I have come to realize however is the way that I am using Talents is akin to the way that the other game uses Feats and Skills.

Which set me thinking. How about creating a list of say 20 Talents (one a level) that define a sub-type? Why not do it for loads of sub-types?

Say you want to play as a Barbarian, obviously a Warrior in Tunnels and Trolls terms. But, if you are clear from the outset that this is the path you want to take, you could pick your starting Talent(s) from the Barbarian list. I'd even say that you get to roll 2D6 for it's bonus instead of just the one every time you choose a Talent from your list.

This doesn't mean a Barbarian cant pick something from say a Thieves list or, make something up on the spot of course, just that they'd lose that second dice when rolling up the bonus.

At the moment this is still very much a work in progress and feedback is would be welcome. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment