Tuesday 25 September 2012

Scratch Building

One of the many things that I have been wanting to do for some time now is try my hand at scratch building.

I've never really been too sure of where to start though but fortune sure does shine upon the bold and a chance conversation has lead to me having a fairly detailed discussion on the do's and dont's of scratch building with a highly experienced modeler, who has even offered to give me a hand, having outlined what I want to do.

In fact, they have offered to do it for me gratis! But me being me, I want to get stuck in and learn something new the best way. By getting involved.

Initially I am going to keep it simple by producing a few toxic craters on the cheap (the very cheap as I have some scrap material already collecting dust that will be just perfect for the job) and, some factory ruins. The classic for any Warhammer: 40,000 battlefield based upon the excellent papercraft model produced by David Graffam, pictured above.

The main difference between the model depicted above and what I am looking to produce will be material. David has opted for paper, which is all well and good but, wanting a more durable model, I will be using balsa wood. Granted, it is hardly the worlds toughest material but the improved durability combined with the ease of use and pliability seems to fit what I need well.

Plasticard will almost certainly be involved too along with a few plastic girders from my local modeling shop to really carry off the theme in a way you just cant with paper and card alone. All the time keeping in mind my overall objectives for this project:

A functional light-weight piece of terrain and templates that I can work from to produce them again if replacements are ever needed (or if someone else wants one).

In my head I have this all planned out. Now I just need to make it happen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment